The Art of the Kora
this project is devoted to the music, the culture and the musicians of the most demanding and highest developped African string instrument
the playing technique
Teaching Software for Westafrican music and instruments
Jaliya V4 Full Version offers more than 120 authentic notations of the most famous pieces from the Kora repertoire of Senegal, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Guinée und Mali, based on interpretations of more than 30 musicians, among them traditional Griots as well as internationally known masters like:
Jali Nyama Suso, Alhaji Bai Konte, Dembo Konte, Amadou Bansang Jobarteh, Lalo Keba Drame, Foday Musa Suso, Sidiki Diabate, Batrou Sekou Kouyate, Toumani Diabate, Mamadou Diabate
Jaliya V4 Full Version costs 100 Euro, see Download Page for details.
- world-wide only Archive of original Kora music
- Kora Bridge with strings, flashing synchronously with the music, visualizing all playing techniques in detail
- microtonal Tuner with predefined traditional tunings
Jaliya V4 Full Version offers also more than 300 authentic notations of Westafrican rhythms for Percussion Ensemble (Djembe, Kenkeni, Dundun, Sangpan, Dundunba).
This most complete collection of polyrhythmic drum grooves is also available separately:
Jaliya V4 Percussion Edition costs 50 Euro, see Download Page for details.
Jaliya V4 features now notations, original sounds and animated visualizations of following instruments:
- Kora - bridgeharp from Gambia/Senegal/Mali, configurations for 21, 22, 23, 24 strings, heptatonic
- Donso Ngoni - bridgeharp from Mali, 6 strings, pentatonic
- Goni Burkina - bridgeharp from Burkina Faso, 8 strings, pentatonic
- Balafon Manding - xylophone from Gambia/Senegal/Mali, heptatonic
- Balafon Burkina - xylophone from Burkina Faso, pentatonic
- Balafon Lobi - xylophone from Ghana, pentatonic
- Valiha - bamboo zither from Madagascar, 18 strings, heptatonic
- Marovany - box zither aus Madagascar, 18 strings, heptatonic
- Mvet - stick zither from Cameroon, 8 strings, tetratonic
- Percussion - Malinke Ensemble, Guinée
- Percussion2 - Malinke Ensemble small, Guinée
More instruments to come !
You can even sample your own instrument, integrate it in Jaliya V4, create and play notations with the original sounds of your instrument in any tempo and any tuning.
See some screenshots of Jaliya V4.
Download Shareware Version
get the innovative Jaliya V4 Teaching Software for Westafrican music and instruments
Windows Systems only, sorry
use a WinXP Emulator (i.e. Virtual PC) if you're on MacOS or Linux
wave and midi sound files captured from the Jaliya V4 Software
MP3 files of several band projects
some common Mandinka terms
other interesting Kora related sites
very complete Kora discography, traditional and modern, from Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Guinée, Guinea Bissau
to those who have inspired this project
and other stuff I'm doing
||Traditional Kora Music with two Koras, Sentir and Ngoni, jazzy Saxes and Percussion
||Afro Oriental World Music
||Persian Sufi Trance Music
will be constantly improved.
Thanks for dropping by, check in again.
Translation to English, French and Dutch is in process.
Now Playing: Allah l'a ke, here is more
and here is the notation of the music playing.